Monday , 30 November 2020
NEWS AND UPDATES
CMU beefs-up preparation for ISO certification audit

CMU beefs-up preparation for ISO certification audit

After passing the ISO readiness audit for stage 1 eight months ago, the university has intensified its efforts to pass the two-day ISO certification audit for stage 2 on October 20-21, via Microsoft Teams application.

“A lot of preparations were actually done… first we spent ample time changing the mindset of people in the university. There is a need to have a paradigm shift on how we should look at our respective work assignments, especially now that we are complying with the international standards,” Dr. Jose S. Valmorida, Director of Quality Assurance Office (QAO), said in an interview.

Aside from that, the QA office conducted a series of coaching, guidance, and constant seminar-workshop among the process owners for several months to ensure that CMU will pass the certification audit. “We need to ensure that all processes in the university are in place because the certification audit is really looking into the process whether we have complied with the standards, procedures, and protocols established in our university,” Dr. Valmorida added.

The university was audited through ISO 9001:2015. “Probably, a year or two, there will be another update [in the criteria], and that will be 9001:2018,” Dr. Valmorida said. He highlighted that ISO involves a continual improvement, particularly on the university’s logistical concerns.

The QA director further said that this is the first time that the university is undergoing a remote certification audit for stage 2. “I’d like to note that this is 70% remote audit, meaning to say not all business processes will be accounted for the audit. The remaining 30% would mean face to face and is actually scheduled this coming December,” he clarified.

As stipulated in the audit plan, the scope of the certification includes the provision and development of graduate, undergraduate degree and non-degree programs, research and extension, and university services.

According to Dr. Teresita S. Borres, Director of Instruction, to be ISO certified implies quality in terms of our systems and procedures in the university. “In other words, we are compliant with international standards. We can be compared to other institutions with global standards. It marks quality operations in the university. Meaning to say, if we pass the certification audit, we are comparable with other international institutions in the world,” Dr. Borres said.

The university president, Dr. Jesus Antonio G. Derije, acknowledged the gargantuan efforts of every faculty and staff who took part in the ISO preparation and audit. “Sustain it. This is how ISO works. Let’s do it slowly but surely. And if you feel that you are already tired, then take a nap, take a rest, and bounce back. Remember, this is a call of duty,” he said.

Among the organizational units audited in the university include the nine colleges, the top management encompassing the Office of the President and Vice Presidents; the management team (Quality Assurance Office); the Legal Office; the University Center for Gender and Development; Internal Audit Services; Alumni Relations and Linkages Office; University Press; Public Relations and Information Office; General Services Office; Office of the Director of Instruction; University Library; Office of the University Registrar; Office of Student Affairs; Office of Admission, Scholarships and Placements; Office of the National Service Training Program; International Relations Office; Internal Quality Audit/Corrective Action; Administrative Services Office; and Finance Management Services Office. If all units pass the current audit, the university will enjoy three years of ISO Certification. (RGPadoginog and LESimbajon)

Scroll To Top

Learn about CMU’s response to COVID-19 and our safety plans for limited in-person activity

X